Two and a half months into the season, and playoff races are starting to heat up.
4 teams have their bye this week: The Jets, Patriots, Browns and Chiefs.
I went from 11-2 in week 8 to 6-7 in week 9. Time to bounce back. Here are my picks for week 10 in the NFL.
Thursday Night Football
- Washington @ Minnesota: Last week, the Redskins won by a touchdown in overtime, the Vikings lost by 4 on the road. It was the best Minnesota has looked since their 1 win on the season, while Washington got by on their ability to run in the red zone. Despite a losing streak, I think the Vikings are poised to get back in the win column after getting a big performance from Adrian Peterson. MINNESOTA WINS
1PM Sunday Games
- Seattle @ Atlanta: Two straight nail-biters for the Seahawks. Two straight very bad performances by Matt Ryan. Before the season, I thought this would be a game that could mean the difference between a top seed in the NFC. But now it’s just a case of a Hawks team looking to stay ahead in the West, and Atlanta looking for just their 3rd win. The birds from the west will fly higher in this one. SEATTLE WINS
- Cincinnati @ Baltimore: Both teams have had problems running the football this season. And both are coming off close losses in week 9. Cincy has been very good defensively this season, while the defending champs have struggled on offense. I think this continues for Baltimore, while Andy Dalton finds a balance between his 4-game win streak self, and turnover prone self from a week ago. CINCINNATI WINS
- Detroit @ Chicago: Matt Stafford and MVP candidate Calvin Johnson are well rested, while the Bears are getting back Jay Cutler. The Bears found a way to win Monday night, but that’s in large part due to the injury sustained by Aaron Rodgers. And despite the return of Cutler, I think the win goes to the road team. DETROIT WINS
- Philadelphia @ Green Bay: Nick Foles was historically good last week. The Packers lost Rodgers for an indefinite amount of time. But Foles probably won’t be that good again, and with Seneca Wallace getting the 1st team snaps this week and Eddie Lacy running the way he’s been in his rookie year, I’m going out on a limb and taking the home team. GREEN BAY WINS
- St. Louis @ Indianapolis: The Rams played a good game on Sunday, but still lost. The Colts weren’t their best for much of their Sunday night game, but still won. The Rams are better than last year, but there’s just something about Andrew Luck and his Colts that I can’t pick against, not at home, and not against St. Louis. INDY WINS
- Oakland @ New York: The Giants are winners of their last two and are well rested. And they might have a crowded backfield for the first time all season. The Raiders are coming off a very bad defensive performance, though they did again have a good day on the ground. But New York has figured out how to stop the run of late, and I think they find a way to make it 3 straight. NEW YORK WINS
- Buffalo @ Pittsburgh: The Bills have been very up and down, as have the Steelers. Pitt is coming off a historically bad performance on defense, while Buffalo held their own on defense against the leagues lone undefeated team. I know this is a road game for the Bills, but I think their run game finds a way to break loose against a no longer Steel curtain. BUFFALO WINS
- Jacksonville @ Tennessee: Jake Locker wasn’t good last week, but the Titans got a lot of help on the ground. The Jaguars are coming off a bye, and are starting to run out of chances to pick up a win. I don’t think this is going to end any differently than Jacksonville’s first 8 games. TENNESSEE WINS
4/4:25PM Sunday Games
- Carolina @ San Francisco: This is my favoirte match-up of the week. The Panthers might be the biggest surprise of the year (I know the Chiefs only won 2 games last year but I stand by this statement), while the 49ers picked up where they left off a year ago. Carolina is on a 4 game win streak, while San Fran comes off their bye on a 5-game win streak. I see this being a very low scoring game, won in the trenches. I know the Panthers have been crazy good at stopping the run, but there’s just too much fire power for the niners on the ground. Give me the home team in a one score game. SAN FRANCISCO WINS
- Houston @ Arizona: I know, I know. Stop trusting the Texans. They blew a big lead on Sunday, and will be without their head coach for a few weeks. But Case Keenum proved he can lead his team and despite the 2nd half collapse, the defense showed some flashes last week. As for the Cardinals, they are improved over last year, and are well rested coming off a bye. But I still feel the Texans can come away victorious. Watch me regret this. HOUSTON WINS
- Denver @ San Diego: A rested Peyton Manning versus an inconsistent Chargers team. Yikes. Manning went into the bye struggling (for him). This could be a shoot out, especially if San Diego gets Ryan Matthews involved again. But I think Manning beats Philip Rivers. DENVER WINS
Sunday Night Football
- Dallas @ New Orleans: Both teams can score with the best of them. The Cowboys are coming off a come-from-behind win over the Vikings, while the Saints were shutdown by the Jets. If this game were in Dallas, I might give the edge to the boys, but in the dome, give me the home team. NEW ORLEANS WINS
Monday Night Football
- Miami @ Tampa Bay: The Dolphins are mired in the Richie Incognito bullying scandal. The Bucs remain win-less, despite giving the Seattle all they could handle a week ago. I know it’s a home game for Tampa, and they’re due for a win, but Miami is just a better team, with a better quarterback. It’ll be close but give me the road team to close out week 10. MIAMI WINS
The match-ups to get you started and finish you off aren’t necessarily what you’d hope, but it’s still football. So enjoy.